It all started late Saturday night. One of the blogging communities that I belong to is Entrecard. While visiting a number of blogs and dropping my card on the various Entrecard widgets, my McAfee popped up and said it had found and deleted the Vundo Trojan. It popped up a couple of times. I wish I could remember the site, but I think it was a technology blog.
Anyway, McAfee was not able to clear out the Vundo. These days, I primarily am using Google Chrome for my internet browsing. Well I would be happily cruising the web when all of a sudden Internet Explorer would open up and bog my system down. I spent the bulk of Sunday downloading various spyware scanners trying to remove it. I thought that I had it licked when I started using STOPzilla, which had a good review on Cnet.com. It identified the virus several times and said that it had been removed.
Monday and Tuesday, I was able to get onto the web without any issues. However, Wednesday night I fired up the laptop and all of a sudden STOPzilla said Vundo was back. Curses! I kept struggling with my system for the rest of the week. Since the virus kept opening up Internet Explorer, I removed it from my system. However, pesty bug that Vundo is, it kept opening up IE. Finally, on Saturday, after my system had become very unstable, I considered taking the drastic step of recovering my system back to the original settings. Before I did, though, I called STOPzilla's tech support for advice. They suggested running the scan in safe mode.
So Saturday night, I get home from delivering pizza and fire up the laptop in safe mode. Lo and behold, STOPzilla would not start on my computer in safe mode. I decided at that point to run a couple of scans while under safe mode. I did a complete system scan with McAfee and with Spybot. The scans finally finished about 2 a.m. this morning. Both identified several files with the virus and I was able to delete them. That seems to have done the trick (knock on wood.) Hopefully this is the end of my Vundo experience.