Sunday, December 12, 2010

Early Christmas Vacation

A bauble on a Christmas tree.Image via WikipediaI slept a little bit later than I usually do this morning.  Normally, on the weekend, I get up around 8 am.  When my son is home, I usually get up a little earlier because he tends to be an early riser.  This morning, however, I must have been particularly sleepy because I didn't crawl out of bed until 9:30.

I got up and took care of my usual morning business; brushed my teeth, showered, etc.  After getting dressed, I headed downstairs to fire up the old laptop and fix myself a pot of coffee.  I was going to have a couple cups of coffee, and do a little web browsing before heading out to do my weekly grocery shopping.  Then it was going to be a relaxing day of watching football.

As is so often the case in my life, things don't always seem to go exactly as I planned.  Just as I was about to pour my first cup of coffee, Mrs. Dickster comes walking down the steps to inform me that she had just received a phone call from my son's school asking us to come pick him up.  Needless to say, we were somewhat surprised as his Christmas break was not to begin until December 23rd.

I called the school to speak to the person who had made the request.  She requested that we come pick him up and bring him back after the Christmas break on January 3rd.  We were informed that he was being completely non-compliant and was hitting other kids.  My son has had a history of slapping at people in the past, and we definitely do not condone that behavior, but he usually does not go out of his way to hit others. 

We knew it was going to be a difficult transition for him to be living away from home.  However, I do have to say we were completely taken aback by the request to come get him this early.  For the most part, we have gotten positive feedback from the staff at the school and the dorm.  He has been doing well in class, and had been making some strides in the dorm life. 

There have been some concerns about his eating, but for the most part they said he seemed to be adjusting.  When I spoke to somebody earlier this week, they told me that he had been interacting more and more with the other kids.  My wife had to take some medication out to the school on Thursday, and she saw him from a distance and said he looked happy.

Of course, the holidays are a particularly stressful time of year for anybody.  I guess it can be particularly stressful for a special needs child away from home for the first time.  The hope is that after holiday season when things settle down a little bit at school that he will be able to adjust after things return to normal.  I hope so, though getting him back will be difficult. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails