Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fall is in the Air

The fall season is upon us.  There is starting to be a little bit of a chill in the air.  This weekend, we are expected to have the coldest night in several months with temperatures expected to drop in the 40's.  It really is one of my favorite times of years, because I really do like the cooler weather.  I love going to sleep at night and waking up wrapped in the comforter because it is so cool in the house.

Pretty soon though, it will be time to think about firing up the furnace to heat your home.  Inevitably, there will be a news story about some family who either had to go to the emergency room because they got sick, or worse yet, a family that dies because they have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.  It is one of the reasons that I am glad that we have all electric heat and appliances in our home so that we do not have to worry about that.

In most cases, those sorts of tragedies could be avoided if the home had been equipped with some sort of carbon monoxide meter.  In a lot of ways, a carbon monoxide meter could be a more vital piece of equipment than a smoke detector.  At least in the case of a fire, you can sometimes be alerted to the potential danger through the smell of something burning.  With carbon monoxide, there is no smell or warning without the meter.

The safety of those around you is of the utmost importance.  Sometimes dangers are clear and obvious.  Other times, like with carbon monoxide, they are unable to be detected by the human senses.  They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Having devices that can alert you to smoke or high concentrations of carbon monoxide can be worth their weight and then some in gold.
Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. I always fear a gas explosion too so we have an all electric house. I know that's weird, but the local news will inevitable have a story about one this time of year, plus the carbon monoxide issue. Love fall for the same reason as you though!

  2. there are a couple things I get paranoid about in my house, fire and flooding. Anytime I smell something burning, I come running down the steps to check out. It is almost always something on a burner



Related Posts with Thumbnails